Christian Counselling in Kelowna, British Columbia and Online Christian Counselling
Christian Counselling is an option for those wanting to grow in and incorporate their Christian faith with their mental health.
When we are overwhelmed, stuck, & don’t know where to start, we typically don’t start. I specialize in CBT to help you get unstuck, understand “your stuff” (cause we all have it!), & implement practical strategies to change how you think, feel, & live more alive.
Often this is by
- Identifying negative beliefs or lies
- Challenging them and
- Replacing them.
A foundation of Christian Counselling is using Biblical Truth to replace those lies and come alive into who God uniquely, intimately, and personally created you to be.
Experience redemption, healing, break free from bondage, and experience the unconditional love of Jesus that is so deeply personal for you and transformational in your life.
These lies know your name, but call you by your shortcomings.
- I am a failure. I am not good enough. I am not worthy of love.
God knows your shortcomings, but calls you by your name.
Do not fear, for I have redeemed you. I have called you by name. You are mine.
We all have those negative thoughts or self-talk in our heads from time to time. The lies that we believe. They often tell us we are not good enough and unworthy. They often hinder our mental health and fuel things like anxiety (or feelings overwhelmed), depression (or feeling down/low), perpetuate stress, and taint our relationships.
You are not alone. Although, it can feel that way. These lies thrive on isolation and avoidance of the things that trigger them. Therefore, facing those unhelpful beliefs with a trusted therapist can be so helpful. Friends and family may mean well, and are immensely important, however, they may not be properly trained like a professional and able to give unbiased input, or spiritual input. This is especially important if you want to grow in your Christian faith or incorporate it into your counselling experience to combat lies with Truth.
I have a background in ministry and am active in being a part of and leading different Christian ministries. I have personally and professionally benefited from Christian Counselling and partner with the local church on sharing teachings on Christianity and Mental Health.
Check out a few of these videos below:
Christian Counselling: Encouragement for Mom’s Mental Health and Walk with God
Quarantine Quarrels: Talk on Christian Counselling for Couples and Families during Quarantine.
What we do together in Christian Counselling:
- Experience unconditional love. You are worthy.
- This a judgement-free and safe place.
- Jesus loved those who felt not-enough. He went to them, to us. He made people who felt like a nobody, feel like a somebody. We matter, you matter to Him so deeply.
- Before you “behave” correctly, or “believe” anything, you need to feel like you belong. Regardless of your behaviors or beliefs, you absolutely belong here.
- Nobody’s perfect. Everybody’s welcome.
- Learn to identify your unique anxiety triggers
- Start to understand where anxiety comes from so that it does not keep popping up like weeds in areas of your life
- Where you feel it in your body
- Negative/irrational thoughts fuelling it
- Challenge and Reframe these anxious thoughts
- Replace them with more balanced thoughts to feel more balanced
- Specifically replace lies with Scripture and practical Biblical resources to grow in your Christian faith
- Learn practical healthy coping strategies for you
- Practice Breathing and Grounding strategies you can do anywhere: from a classroom, locker room, home, or business meeting.
- Change the way you speak to yourself, to speak to yourself with more kindness and compassion (like you would someone you love)
- Improve relationships with yourself and others, and productivity
- Feel and live more confidently
- Practical homework/reflection exercises between sessions to gain self-confidence and skills
- Be educated, equipped, and empowered with resources, self-talk, insight, and coping skills to manage and overcome these lies telling you you are not good enough or worthy.
- Lies thrives on isolation and avoidance. Thus, having a strong social support and counselling can help be incredibly beneficial to combat isolation.
- Community is vital, as is a creating space to meet with God. This can be through devotionals, the Word, Bible Studies, groups, nature, journalling, prayer, etc. Just like any relationship, it is so uniquely personal to you. We will work together to help you grow this.
- Counselling also helps you face what is overwhelming you or causing you to feel stuck or paralyzed with a trusted someone rather than alone. By doing this, you can then realize you can overcome these fears and limiting beliefs.
- Replace these lies or limiting beliefs with Truth.
- I specialize in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or CBT, which is the gold-standard of treatment. However, I draw from a variety of therapy approaches to tailor counselling uniquely for you
- Essentially, your thoughts, feelings, and behaviours are interconnected. If we can make changes in one area, we can impact change is other areas as well. We especially target those lies or irrational, negative thoughts driving your anxiety/depression/low mood/stress.
- This approach is actually outlined in and in line with the Bible!
Online Counselling Available
Flexible Evening & Weekend Times Available
I am a therapist with specific organizations
that offer coverage for counselling such as:
Cost & Coverage
As a Registered Clinical Counsellor, many insurance plans cover counselling such as Pacific Blue Cross, Greenshield, and Sun Life. Please check with your specific provider’s policy for coverage. Upon payment, you will receive a receipt to submit for reimbursement.
30 minute sessions at $75
1 hour sessions at $125 + 5% GST
I am passionate about coming
alongside of you wherever you are.
The work I have done with Barb has changed my life. With her help I learned that I was not only worthy but, capable of helping myself. Walking with her has been one of the most meaningful experiences I have ever had.
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come Alive.
– Howard Thurman