- This event has passed.
Catching Your Negative Thinking Traps Talk with Kelowna Counsellor Barb Egan and Third Space Charity
June 30 @ 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Negative thoughts themselves aren’t the problem—it’s the power we give them.
During this time of heightened anxiety, overwhelm, and isolation, we can be more susceptible to these common thinking traps. By becoming familiar with these, be encouraged that you are not alone. It can also be encouraging—and empowering— when we can realize when we are thinking these common thinking traps below, and call them out for what they are (a thought) versus what they are not (True). Just because we think something does not make it to be 100% true. Knowing that it can be a thinking trap style thought, we can catch it and overcome it so that it does not overcome us.
- Identifying Situation, Thoughts, and Feelings. See example attached.
- Then ask yourself what thinking traps are getting me stuck? See examples attached.
- Once we identify these traps, we can catch them and add a more balanced perspective with our words.
- How we talk to ourselves matters.
- For example lessening Extreme words such as should to could. Or “ I am no good at this.” To “I’m working on improving this.”
- Identifying these traps helps us when they pop in our heads for future times so we don’t get weighed down by them automatically or believe them as readily
- Resource: Sanvello app
- See Blog post